October 7th, 2009

We had a quiet day in China today.  My acupuncture schedule begins at 8:30 in the morning so we are all done and ready to start our day by 10:00.  Gracie and I usually spend the later morning working on her homework, reading and writing in her journal.  It is fun to talk with Gracie about her perspective on her travels in China. 

We went out for lunch this afternoon.  Then Gracie went with another family to go swimming.  While she and another little girl were showering in the locker room, the lights went out.  There were no windows so it was very dark.  They were pretty scared at first.  Gracie couldn’t even find her clothes, so she wrapped herself in a towel and they opened the door to get some help.  The Mom and Dad that they were with were right there to help them, so they held the door open to shed some light on the situation and the girls were able to get dressed.  There were just a few places in the area that lost power.  Gracie thinks the batteries must have gone out in the locker room.  When she got back to the room, she told Grandma and me, “Well it was quite an adventure today!” 

Every day is an adventure.  It is nice that families come and go at different times, because the veteran families always help out the new families by showing them the ropes.  There is a lot to learn and adjust to in a short amount of time.  We come with tremendous jet-lag and they give us a tour of the hospital and area.  Our minds are full of information about our medical treatment, doctors, and schedules.  Plus, we are adjusting to new sights, sounds and smells and learning a new culture. They don’t provide meals in the hospital either.  This is probably best because we probably wouldn’t necessarily like the food anyway, but we then have to figure out where we are going to eat.  What we are going to eat.  How to purchase any groceries and how we are going to cook anything.  They provide a community kitchen with two hot plates, a toaster oven, toaster, small coffee pot and rice maker.  Most of it is in Chinese though, so it isn’t very easy to figure out how to use them. 

The hospital does provide a laundry service, but there is a charge and it takes 2-3 days to get everything back so we purchased a little bin and some soap and have been doing our own laundry.  Mom washes and washes to get the soap all out.  Then we hang everything in the shower to drip dry.  Once it has stopped dripping, we hang everything in the window to dry.  The sun has kept things pretty warm here, so things are usually dry in about two days.  The blessing in it all is it makes the time go by.

Entry Filed under: onh,Uncategorized


  • 1. Mary B  |  October 7th, 2009 at 10:30 pm

    I”m glad you told about your meals etc. I had wondered if you just used the microwave or if the hospital had a cafe or what. Home will look so good to you all. your own kitchens, frig . I wonder if our herders used to feel this way bout the us. People are good the world over. I[m sure you have touched a lot of peoples hearts. safe travel home!!! christine

  • 2. Angela  |  October 9th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

    Just wanted to say hi!


October 2009
« Sep   Jan »

Most Recent Posts